Monday, April 18, 2011

I GET A LITTLE BIT STRONGER!

To borrow a line from a song, "I get a little bit stronger”! I am still training for my 3 day walk and along the way I am seeing things a little differently.

If I start my walk later than I plan, I have to make up the difference somewhere. Case in point, a few weeks ago I realized I was not going to make an appointment if my walk took the same amount of time it always took. I didn’t want to cut it short so at the half way mark I “took a jog”.

This is so against my nature, I have never been a jogger. Don’t like the pounding, never had enough air in my lungs, my knees hurt, I could think of numerous reasons not to jog.

Well, first time out of the box and I ran just short of a mile! It was my knee that got me to stop. I noticed I was putting more weight on one foot. I think it’s because of uneven pavement. By the time I got to my car my knee didn’t hurt.

So, the next day I decided to make it a mile. I was so close the first day I knew I could do it as long as I was aware of my knee. Got to the 1 mile marker, no pain, kept on jogging. Made it to the car! Mind you it is only 1.7 miles, but, I can feel the difference. This is now what I do when I follow this course.

I won’t break any speed records, and you could probably walk along side of me and not get winded. I haven’t gotten to the top of the stairs like Rocky, but, I’m working it!

3 comments:

The Path Traveled said...

Pam, that's so great! Way to go! I bet by the time of the 3 day , you will be running the whole thing.

Anonymous said...

Awesome!!! :)

Resa said...

I too had some little knew problems before I started running. I thought they would get worse if I ran, but they actually went away when I started to run. So I've continued. Maybe it was the lack of exercise that made it hurt. The more I run, or walk or anything, the better it feels.
Go figure.