Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Ramblings of a non cook...

I roasted some veggies and decided to make soup. I put them in the slow cooker with some chicken stock and water.

It looked really pretty, yellow squash, green beans, carrots, fingerling potatoes and onions. Then I added a can of "pumpkin"! It looked like a party! After cooking for a few of hours the colors got a little "muddied" but tasted ok.

nutrition facts

Next time I won't pre-roast the veggies and I'll use more stock or water or less pumpkin. As I put the pumpkin in, I was only planning on using half a can, I thought, what am I going to do with the left over pumpkin...use it in the soup.

My question is, what spices would you have used? I used a little red pepper flakes. I'm not very inventive as spices go. But, probably have it in the cupboard.


Pumpkin in beans, next time.

4 comments:

Carla said...

Pam, when I make soups with a broth base I always make a bouquet garni using fresh herbs such as thyme, parsley, tarragon, and a bay leaf. Tie these all together and toss in the soup. Remove before serving. If you do not have fresh herbs, go with a bay leaf and some dried tarragon and thyme, a teaspoon of each and one or two bay leaves.

You soup sounds yummy, especially today in this cold weather!

PamelaAnn said...

Carla, you probably pick your fresh herbs from your garden, how nice.

Carla said...

Yes, I do except right now it is too cold for basil. You need an herb garden!

Anonymous said...

Pam, get adventurous with the spices! I have found I love sage from experimenting. I started buying new spices and dumping them in stuff like rice and soups. I like Trader Joe's Lemon Pepper seasoning for a topping on my cottage cheese and salads.

I really enjoy the smoky and spicy spices like paprika, curry, cumin, cayenne pepper. I also like the warming "fall" spices like nutmeg and cinnamon (even in my rice dishes!).