Saturday, February 12, 2011

Think - Eat - and - Move my new subtitle

This is the move part…

I love tennis! I always have, even before I started playing I loved watching the game.

For years I played 3 or 4 times a week. Doubles on one day and singles the rest with my best friend Judee. We even went on Tennis weekends. Newport Beach, Ca. was a favorite destination. We took our rackets to Hawaii and would get up at the crack of dawn to play before it got to hot. We took a tennis clinic at Vic Braden’s in Cota de Caza Ca. I wasn’t the best, I rarely won a singles match, but I did have a “killer” two handed backhand. Down the line or across the court, it was great.

So, why did I stop playing? We moved, but I would travel once a week for doubles for months. It sometimes would take 1 hour each way, so that got old fast. Then I broke my ankle. What could have been a temporary situation turned permanent.

Why? Why did I stop something I truly loved doing? It got difficult. I would have had to find someone to play with, find a place to play, find a group to fit in, fit it into my new schedule. It was easier to just stop.

Easier is, well, easier.

Fast forward several years, my son decided to do a marathon in Ireland. He started training. I thought I would train along with him, only, I trained to walk a marathon. We were in different cities and his daily training was a lot shorter than mine. I would be out for hours, walking all over town. I discovered wonderful areas I would never have seen if I weren’t walking. I really enjoyed this time. The weather was always beautiful, southern California need I say more. I wore a small backpack with water and some snacks.

After months of training, I’m ready for my marathon!

I mapped my route. Leave the office in Oceanside, walk west to the coast, turn south and walk to Del Mar, California. I walked along the coast and through great little seaside towns. Jim, my husband, was my pacer. He checked to see where I was and would then drive down the route and wait. One girl from my office even made me a number to wear on my shirt!

I did it! Actually, walked 27.4 miles. My friend Judee joined me for the final couple of miles. This put me at the restaurant where Jim was waiting. Beer and fish tacos! Again, southern California, that’s what we do!

Walking became my exercise of choice. As easy as walking is, I still have to make myself do it!

8 comments:

Carla said...

I love this story Pam. I need to begin a challenge like this. I might not be able to walk 27 miles but I bet I could get to 10!

jimray said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
PamelaAnn said...

Carla that would be great! 27 or 10 miles we could do whatever we want and end at the same time and celebrate.

Kel said...

You know, Carla and Pam, you guys are perfect candidates for walking the 3 Day for the Cure! I think there just happens to be one in San Diego!

3 Days, 60 miles, happy tears, sad tears, and a full heart. Can't beat it!

PamelaAnn said...

Kel, reading your post on on NM is tempting me! The need to raise money has always intimidated me.

Anonymous said...

Pam, I loved reading this entry! Peter and I have been out a couple times to play tennis, just to hit the ball back and forth. I really, really enjoy it too! I'm sorry you broke your ankle. Gosh, how did you do that?

Thanks for writing this. I've been having some motivational issues these past couple of weeks. I just need to slow down, take my time and have fun. Thanks for the reminder about how wonderful it can be to accomplish something great! Congratulations on going the extra mile. ;)

You're one cool lady!

Anonymous said...

Oh, and maybe you can school me this summer in tennis! I don't know anything about the actual scoring and game.

PamelaAnn said...

That would be fun! Take a little time to visit and play!