Monday, July 25, 2011

I hiked a Mountain!

I took advantage of a 6 mile training walk and met some of the people that are going to be doing the 3 Day Walk for the Cure, in November. I really wanted to see if I was going to be able to keep up. The beginning was up a hill but the rest was around a neighborhood. I realized on this walk, I was going to be ok.

Spent some time with a man who has done several of the walks and will answer any questions that might come up. Talked to several women all from different areas around San Diego. And then I met Francy. She's from my neighborhood. As we talked, I realized we both walk the same routes. But, she takes each route to another level.

When she said she had hiked Mt Monserate I was excited! I've wanted to do this for over a year. I can see it from practically every route I walk. It's easy to get to, but steep once you start. Parts of the switch back trail are visible from the starting point, but there are also hidden areas, so I wanted to go with someone that has already climbed it.


We agreed to get together and hike this Mountain! No trees, so no shade. We have to start early to avoid the heat. I will admit, I had to stop a few times but not for long. When we reached the summit we signed the ledger some one has left, with the date and a note about the 3 day walk we are preparing to do.


Francy signing the ledger.

The morning was hazy but we still had a great view. Instead of going straight back down we circled around the water tower. It was a 4 mile hike so it wasn't really long, but took twice as long as a normal 4 mile hike to finish because of the rocks and slippery sand and dirt.


View of Rice Canyon


Elevation chart by Garmin


I realize it isn't the tallest mountain, but it's now my mountain!

3 comments:

Carla said...

You are amazing Pamela!

jimray said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
PamelaAnn said...

Thanks Carla, it's amazing what we can do if we set our minds to it.